RE: MGED/FuGO. was: Re: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

Hi All,

> Thanks for pointing us to FuGO. To me, it seems like that the FuGO
> community is currently defining an upper ontology that can be
> universally used to describe different types of genomic/proteomic
> experiments including microarray experiments.

This, I believe, is their goal.

> but
> there is no
> example use for microarray experiments.

To actually describe microarray experiments (and proteomics, etc.), it
is expected that this will be done through extensions of FuGE-OM, a UML
model that takes experiences from MAGEv1 and PEDRo (and others) to
create an object model that describes what is basic to all biological
based experiments.  MAGEv2 will extend this model.

One goal of FuGO is:

"The purpose of this ontology is to support the consistent annotation of
functional genomics experiments, regardless of the particular field of
study."

So it is unlikely at this point that there will be a class
"Hybridization" or "FeatureExtraction" in the ontology but there is
likely to be terms that describe particular ways of doing a
hybridization or feature extraction.

FuGO is still at an early stage, see http://fugo.sourceforge.net/ for
how someone can contribute.

cheers,