Re: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

kei cheung wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Sorry, I missed part of your talk (the beginning part and the ending
> part) as I needed to be at other meetings. Is Neuronames
> (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9410576&dopt=Abstract)
> part of UMLS now? If so, does it make sense to convert (all or a
> portion of) the Neuronames Brain Hierarchy into RDF/OWL instead of
> converting the entire UMLS into RDF? It might  be helfpul to our RDF
> conversion efforts if they share the same neuroanatomical terminology.
Some version of Neuronames (1999) is integrated in the UMLS.
Converting one single vocabulary to RDF/OWL is likely to be much simpler
than converting the whole UMLS.
I don't know enough the specifics of Neuronames to be able to estimate
the difficulty of converting it to to RDF. At first glance, all
relations seem to be parent/child relations and it should be pretty trivial.
Attached below is the list of restrictions for "Category 3" vocabularies
in the UMLS. My understanding is that it wouldn't be possible to make
the RDFized version of Neuronames publicly available or even part of a
production system.

-- Olivier

From: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/license_appendix.html

12. 3. Category 3:

LICENSEE's right to use material from the source vocabulary is
restricted to internal use at the LICENSEE's site(s) for research,
product development, and statistical analysis only. Internal use
includes use by employees, faculty, and students of a single institution
at multiple sites. Notwithstanding the foregoing, use by students is
limited to doing research under the direct supervision of faculty.
Internal research, product development, and statistical analysis use
expressly excludes: use of material from these copyrighted sources in
routine patient data creation; incorporation of material from these
copyrighted sources in any publicly accessible computer-based
information system or public electronic bulletin board including the
Internet; publishing or translating or creating derivative works from
material from these copyrighted sources; selling, leasing, licensing, or
otherwise making available material from these copyrighted works to any
unauthorized party; and copying for any purpose except for back up or
archival purposes.

LICENSEE may be required to display special copyright, patent and/or
trademark notices before displaying content from the vocabulary source.
Applicable notices are included in the list of UMLS Metathesaurus
Vocabulary sources, that is part of this Agreement.