Re: A precedent suggesting a compromise for the SWHCLS IG Best Practices (ARK)

On Jul 28, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> 3. The paper doesn't mention qualifiers, but the current version of
> the specification does. We should perhaps agree on some conventions
> on the form of qualifiers so that we can use them to represent
> versions, where appropriate.

BTW, something that I like about the ARC spec, is that the when using
qualifiers, part of the contract is that you commit to there being an
unqualified identifier. One of the things that I have has a concern
over with LSIDs is what to do with versioned identifiers.

Sometimes it is important to have the version - like when you are
doing some sequence based analysis and you need to remember the
specific sequence you used. But in many other cases, when you make
some assertion about the gene you either don't know the version that
the statement was based on, or you don't care because the intension
to refer to the concept of whatever the exact sequence turns out to be.

So extending the contract so that you know you can always get the
thing, sans version, would seem to be an advantage.

Similarly they define hierarchical relationships expressed in the
identifiers to be explicitly in a part-of relation to the id without
hierarchical information.

-Alan