Re: [BioRDF] All about the LSID URI/URN

I am very pleased to see the enthusiastic discussion wrt LSIDs/URIs.
I am also encouraged by the sense of urgency many of you are feeling,
since I think this is a very important set of issues that need to be
addressed AND resolved, in order for any advancement of a scientific
research web to succeed. Indeed, Resource Identification is one of
HCLS's stated objectives [1]. But to be clear, I do not see it as a
confrontation of one form over the other, and even would hope to see
(if possible) a coexistence that is both functional AND does not lead
to confusion.

I would like to ensure everyone, that the upcoming BioRDF call--
though a critical step for framing the relevant issues-- will not be
the definitive discussion of LSID's/URI's. This can only happen when
all the necessary issues are fully presented and discussed by the
engaged community. That being said, it is our intent to have that
definitive discussion at the next planned F2F meeting Oct 3-4 in
Amsterdam, and I strongly recommend that all parties who view this
issue as being important should plan to attend the F2F meeting.

 From what I have been able to gather from the discussions so far,
there is still incomplete clarity on several points, and these will
require more work over the coming months. I list here a few, not to
force the conf call's agenda, but merely as a guide to keep in the
back of our minds:

1. When are/must URI's (be) resolvable ?
2. What are the best transport mechanisms for different kinds/volumes
of data ?
3. What best practice(s) does this community need around incomplete
data graphs ?
4. Would global indexing of all references to a URI in annotations
and other predicates be necessary ?
5. Will life sciences require a large amount of metadata caching per
URI in order to support semantc web use in general ?
6. How important is knowing type of a URI before de-referencing it ?
7. WRT the semantic web, is there a clear distinction between
Metadata and Data (as it relates to the LSID specs of mutability) ?
8. Is there a fundamental difference between data-record of Gene, and
an agreed unique Gene symbol standard (e.g., Unigene), and how should
the two be related ?
9. Can healthcare and life sciences work with semantic web data as
large, flat graphs, or do we need to support hypotheses and local
curations as reified graphs (ala NamedGraphs or something similar) ?
10. When we begin to develop, publish, and apply rules to bio-chem or
medical objects, will the rules require stable identifiers, and will
the rules be considered part of the URI graph ?

There is still a lot of work to be done, but my hope is that we will
have some form of deliverable on best practices down before the end
of 2006. I plan to be on monday's call as well...

cheers,
Eric

[1] - http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/hcls/charter#Scope , Guidelines and
Best Practices for Resource Identification

Eric Neumann, PhD
co-chair, W3C Healthcare and Life Sciences,
and Senior Director Product Strategy
Teranode Corporation
83 South King Street, Suite 800
Seattle, WA 98104
+1 (781)856-9132
www.teranode.com

--- kc28 <kei.cheung@yale.edu> wrote:

Hi All,

I second Tim's suggestions. This is a really community effort to move
this important SW component forward.

Best,

-Kei

Tim Clark wrote:

 > Hi All,
 >
 > I think Susie is performing a valuable service which we all respect
 > and which may help to advance the discussion.  HOWEVER...
 >
 > ...  I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that no-one consider the Bio-RDF call
Monday

------

------

 > On SaturdayJul 29, 2006, at 9:25 AM, William Bug wrote:
 >
 >> Hi All,
 >>
 >> I would also give a strong DITTO to the leadership Susie is
providing
 >> on this extremely important issue.  Getting clarification on the
pros
 >> & cons is essential to catalyzing broader adoption of SWTech.
 >>
 >> I would also add I'm extremely grateful to ALL the experts who've
 >> been presenting clear arguments and information related to this
 >> issue.  It's all been extremely valuable.  Susie is working very
hard
 >> to collate this information and provide this as a resource to the
 >> community.  As Alan mentioned, this will remain an ongoing and
 >> critical debate, and it will be of value to us all to help provide a
 >> clearing house for documentation related to to this issue on the
 >> BioRDF Wiki pages.
 >>
 >> The group of people listening in on this debate here on this list
are
 >> a self-selected population of technically astute folks with
 >> implementation of SWTech on their minds - and probably on their
 >> immediate list of TODOs, if not already on their list of previous
 >> achievements.  Most will be very knowledgeable of the general
 >> technical issues and will be likely to dig into the details
presented
 >> on both sides of the argument.   I have found all the details
 >> extremely illuminating - especially the thorough background and
 >> references provided by Sean and the specifics given regarding the
 >> debates the TAG has had on this issue.
 >>
 >> I think I can assure Carole no one here would be likely to take the
 >> achievements of those who've implemented LSID-based systems - and
ARK