Re: A precedent suggesting a compromise for the SWHCLS IG Best Practices

Sean Martin writes:

> This is a great paper. Many thanks for pointing to it. I wish I had
> known of it earlier.

> You may well be correct in your thinking that a similar approach offers
a good compromise.

I think this paper, and Henry's associated proposals makes much more
concrete what I was trying to convey on the phone, I.e. that just because
the URIs you use have something like http://lsids.org/ as a prefix does
not necessarily imply a great deal of centralization of the creation,
naming and deployment of the individual resources. Of course, you probably
do wind up with some central responsibility for running a server at
lsids.org in order to support access from clients that have no special
knowledge of your part of URI space.   I think the referenced paper shows
at least one way that a degree of resiliance can be provided in the case
that, over time, lsids.org proves an impractical name, the Web itself and
URIs fall into disuse (seems hard to picture at the moment, but it's still
pretty new technology).  Anyway, I'm glad that this discussion is starting
to yield useful insights on all sides.  Henry, thanks for forwarding the
paper.  As Sean says, it is indeed valuable.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142