RE: ontology specs for self-publishing experiment

Hi Eric,

Just wanted to point out how this overlaps with the current FuGE
(http://fuge.sourceforge.net/) and FUGO (http://fugo.sourceforge.net/)
efforts.  These are focused on systems biology and are intended to
provide the underpinnings of reporting gene expression, gel, mass spec,
and -omics experiments/investigations.

The goal of FuGE (Functional Genomic Experiments) is for the most part
to provide:

"a. Publishing Protocols
b. Publishing Regants and Products
c. Stating the Hypothesis (and model using RDF) that is being tested by
the experiment; this includes which citations are supportive or
alternative to ones hypothesis
d. Publishing Experimental Data (possibly as RDF-OWL aggregates and
tables)
e. Articulating the Results and Conclusions; specifically, whether the
experiment refutes or supports the central Hypothesis (most of us agree
we cannot 'prove' a hypothesis, only disprove it)"

But it is a UML based model that will then have an equivalent XML Schema
generated.  The advantage, I think, this approach has over a pure
ontology representation is that it better captures the actual work-flow
of these experiments for the interchange of data and annotation.  That
being said, the UML model incorporates a way to annotate the class
objects with ontology Individuals with a reference to the Individual's
RDF class and its ontology.  The UML model adds the additional semantics
of identifiers (typically expressed as LSIDs) that allows tying
reference elements generated in the XML Schema to the full definition of
an object.  So a biological sample can be fully described in one
document then referenced by a treatment that incorporates it into a
prep.

So, for instance, typically a hypothesis is specific to the particular
experiment/investigation.  In FuGE, it is simply a Description class
with a text attribute associated by a Hypothesis association to the
Investigation class.  But in the XML document, this specific Description
can be annotated by references to ontologies that allow hypothesis to be
translated to RDF upon import.  We used the OMG Ontology Definition
Metamodel specification mapping of Individuals from OWL/RDF to UML so
that these could then be mapped back to an OWL/RDF representation for
reasoning (http://www.omg.org/ontology/ontology_info.htm#RFIs,RFPs).

FUGO is intended to become part of the OBO ontologies and FUGO's goal is
to provide general annotation terms for these type of experiments.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Miller
Lead Software Developer