RE: Why is it that so many W3C "documents" are sets of web pages that have to be printed page by page?

From: wangxiao <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:19:36 -0500
To: "'hclsig-pub'" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

> The only good document, for many purposes, is one that can be
> printed out in a reasonably compact form and then read, with
> no computer or web (!) connection, in a coffee shop or on the
> beach (some months from now here in the North).  But as I
> look for documents explaining the Semantic Web, I keep
> finding collections of 20 or 30 web pages each, each page of
> which has to be printed separately.  Slidy seems to have the
> same problem, and I've inquired separately about that. Most
> mags and newspapers offer "printer-friendly" versions of
> multi-page docs.

I would be careful about the "only". :-)

I think it is made as webs document intensionally.  After all, what W3C
wants is to get people used to web. If people wants to get it in some other
form, it is not difficult to do so with some software.  For instance, you
can easily create a PDF out of the web document and do whatever you are
confortable with it later.

Xiaoshu