Re: Unstructured vs. Structured (was: HL7 and patient records in RDF/OWL?)

From: Sean Martin <sjmm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:36:52 -0500
To: Matthew Cockerill <matt@biomedcentral.com>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
 > Spreadsheets (and equivalently, CSV files) are a large fraction of
> the 'additional datafiles' that BioMed Central receives from authors.
>
> What would be great would be to be able to define some simple
> standards and/or templates which authors could follow in their

> spreadsheets, to allow the automatic recognition of key life science
> identifiers, and quantitative attributes,  and so the generation of RDF.

I have discovered that LSID's can be used as universally unambiguous
names,
are relatively straightforward to parse out of unstructured text, html or
xml and are easily dereferenceable as the unique handles to arbitarily
large
RDF graphs and/or binary objects...  ;-)

Kindest regards, Sean

--
Sean Martin
IBM Corp