Re: GRDDL (split off from: Structured vs. Unstructured)

From: John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:42:26 -0500
To: HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Xiaoshu,

> With GRDDL, on the other hand, you
> just publish two document, one HTML on "http://hcls.org/superblast"
> and
> another XSLT on an arbitrary URI. It offers a clean solution to
> remedy URI's
> split personality without asking too much from the author (well,
> xslt isn't
> that simple though:-)).

Ahh, I see where you're going. That makes a lot of sense. You could
conceive of the end result as a stripped-down version of a semantic
web service; not extensible, but easy to implement.

I hadn't really thought before about the dual personality of a URI.
It's important, just like you say, especially as we try start to
treat URI's as resources and make them stand for persistent real-
world objects. It'll be important to get the same URI to talk back
appropriately to any interlocutor, regardless if it's a person, a
machine, a group of people, a mixed machine-person entity, etc.