Fwd: HL7 and patient records in RDF/OWL?

Daniel,

I spoke with Mark Musen about this project at the F2F, and we
(SNOMED) would be eager to work collaboratively with NCBO on this as
a demo. I'm coming out to the Protege short course next month (funded
by SNOMED) and I'll have some material for you by then.

(a) I think is to a large extent a "just-do-it" question, and we
definitely want to "do it". The interesting part to me is the follow-
up project of showing how OWL fragments built separately in this way
can be related to a more global ontology that may not be quite so
rigorously formal; that's (b).

For me, in many ways the hardest part is (c), a standard way of
encapsulating RDF-family markup in xml-schema dependent document
formats. (I know this takes us afield from "ontologies" per se.
Personally, I'd like to see GRDDL applied to these formats, but,
we've got to be realistic that clinical medical documents today are
almost never natively html, and GRDDL is/was rather html-focused.
Also, you might argue that these formats do not assume web
connectivity so it is insufficient to merely point to an extraction
transform somewhere out on the web, when that might not be
accessible; I'm not sure whether that really matters.)

I've spoken with the OpenDocument group about an RDF embedding
standard and they're thinking about it but haven't come to any firm
proposal. I also asked Norm Walsh about it a few months ago and he
had it on his issue list for DocBook, but again I'm not yet aware of
a definitive solution. For HL7-CDA, things are hazy right now.

Daniel, I'd be interested in talking over details with you when I'm
out in Stanford.

John