Re: Nature: A call for a public gene Wiki

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt@biomedcentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:04:18 +0000
Cc: "hclsig-pub" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
To: "Tom Stambaugh" <tms@stambaugh-inc.com>

I agree that the details of gene function probably don't belong on

However, as these two recent articles

Are the current ontologies in biology good ontologies?
Larisa N Soldatova & Ross (Nature Biotechnology)

Time to Organize the Bioinformatics Resourceome
Nicola Cannata, Emanuela Merelli, Russ B. Altman*
PLoS Comp Biol

both discuss, one of the key problems with current biomedical
ontologies is that they are not well embedded in a coherent set of
higher level ontologies.

Biomedical ontologies need simple concepts such as "institution" and
instances of those concepts.

Or as another example of a high level concept in need of a URI, the
JPEG2000 file format

It's at least conceivable that Wikipedia may play an important role
in providing widely accepted identifiers for such high level  classes
and instances, since the high level of usage of wikipedia would tend
to keep those high level concepts  far better maintained and curated
than they would be in the backwaters of a specifically biomedical