Re: Ontology Working Group Proposal Draft

From: Adrian Walker <adrianw@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:14:44 -0500
To: "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>
Cc: "public-semweb-lifesci" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, "John Madden" <john.madden@duke.edu>, "Vinay K. Chaudhri" <Vinay.Chaudhri@sri.com>, <wangxiao@musc.edu>, <duncan.hull@cs.man.ac.uk>, "Robert Stevens" <robert.stevens@manchester.ac.uk>, "Amit Sheth @ LSDIS" <amit@cs.uga.edu>, "Alfredo Morales" <Alfredo.Morales@cerebra.com>, "Ullman-Cullere, Mollie" <MULLMANCULLERE@PARTNERS.ORG>, <ray.hookway@hp.com>, "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>, "Mark Musen" <musen@stanford.edu>

Hi Vipul and All --

This looks like a nice draft.

I do have a question please.  It's about:

"The current definition of an ontology as enunciated by the W3C needs to be
examined and extended if required. Ontology as a model of use needs to be
emphasized in contrast to ontology as a model of meaning."

In admittedly limited reading of the ontology literature, I have formed the
impression that "ontology as a model of meaning" is what OWL is about,
while "ontology as a model of use" often seems to require tools that are
built on top of OWL.

Maybe I have this completely wrong.  But if not, perhaps the draft should
be extended to say something like the above?

To try to ground this a bit in something that a healthcare practitioner or
a clinical researcher
might in future find useful, there are some pointers below to some examples
that one can run using a browser.

Hope this helps.

                                       -- Adrian

http://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RelBioOntDefn3.agent