From: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org on behalf of William Bug
Sent: Sun 12/17/2006 11:26 PM
To: Joanne Luciano
Cc: kc28; Alan Ruttenberg; W3C HCLSIG
Subject: Re: Dec 14 HCLSIG TC Minutes

Hi Joanne,

I like what you are trying to achieve in this figure, and I think you
do it well in a very small amount of space.

I've added just a quick "key" to the right-hand side, to give readers
a more concrete sense of what community resources the 4 Task Forces
have been focused on integrating.  This should obviously not be
exhaustive, just examples to give folks a concrete sense of what each
task force has been examining.  I provided examples for BioONT and
BioRDF drawn from the paper.  I'd leave it to those who know better
than I what public resources fall under the purview of DSE & ACPP.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Bill

?

On Dec 17, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Joanne Luciano wrote:

> Please provide feedback on the figure too.
>
> Joanne
>
> On Dec 17, 2006, at 2:53 PM, kc28 wrote:
>

>> Hi Joanne,
>>
>> I'll work with Alan and others based on your suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Kei
>>
>> Joanne Luciano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kei,
>>>
>>> I made my edits on the google page this morning, so this becomes
>>> a  belated request for deadline extension.
>>>
>>> Included here:
>>>
>>> 1.3.2. Standards as Applications of Semantic Web Technologies
>>> (Joanne)
>>>

>>> There is a tacit assumption within the Semantic Web community
>>> that  every type of data sets and ontologies will be
>>> interoperable. The  reality is that a multitude of different
>>> conceptualisations and  formal representation of data exist. A
>>> key part of the Health and  Life Sciences SIG's vision is that
>>> standards need to be established  and accepted sufficiently
>>> widely within the community so as to allow  that necessary
>>> interoperability between data sets, application and  workflows. A
>>> relatively early effort in this direction was the BioPAX
>>> initiative [REFS] which aimed to provide a common framework for
>>> the  disparate data sources and multiple conceptualisations of
>>> cellular  pathways. Its major success was in increasing public
>>> awareness and  persuading a community of researchers that the
>>> integration of data  was possible and would result in major
>>> research and discovery  advantages. It highlighted the multiple
>>> conceptualizations existing  within the domain of cellular
>>> pathways and made people aware of the  significant investment
>>> needed to achieve interoperability at not only  a syntactic level
>>> but also at a semantic one. A considered critique  of the effort
>>> with suggestions of the way forward is presented in  [REF to
>>> Luciano and Stevens] in this issue.
>>>
>>> In the medium term future, the efforts for standardization need
>>> a  much more careful analysis of the user requirements so as to
>>> be able  to get the end users (wet lab scientists) to buy into
>>> the approach  and its benefits. A greater understanding is needed
>>> both of the  conceptualisations needed which will be reflected in
>>> a number of  ontologies and the boundary which lies between what
>>> is possible and  useful in OWL based ontologies given the
>>> capabilities of the current  generation of reasoners, and on the
>>> other hand the ambitions and   needs of clinical researchers to
>>> integrate and interpret their data.
>>>
>>> The HCLSIG has an interesting role in the SW community because
>>> potentially there is a far greater commitment to resourse
>>> curation  and the need for standard formats and data integration,
>>> thus making  it a much more likely candidate for being a poster
>>> child for the  success of Semantic Web technologies.
>>>
>>> Added to Section 2:
>>>

>>> The following figure shows the respective relationship between
> [...]

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine