RE: A problem-oriented medical record OWL ontology

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:
> [VK] This reminds me of a discussion I had with Dan Russler and similar to the
> above sentiment, the design choices seem to be between one of the following:
>
> 1.   Modeling the action of recording a clinical information; or ordering a
> drug; or making a diagnosis, ...
>
> 2.   Modeling the information required for performing the action; and the
> information as a result of the outcome of the action...
>
> The argument appears to be that the use case in requires metrics such as cost
> and efficiency of hospital operations. etc. That said, one still needs to
> differentiate the two and chances are
> you may want to model (2) as opposed to (1)

I don't think the two approaches are mutually exclusive and I've tried to
model *both* distinctly in such a way to accomodate 'proper' ontological
commitment as well as appropriate alignment with information models that
are inarticulate in this regard.  I relate the class of recordings of
actions (cpr:clinical-description) with what the recordings describe
(using the cpr:description-of property).  'information required fo
r performing the action' is nothing but provenance data about the
recording itself:

- Who authorized the recording
- Who made the recording
   ... etc ..

The 'outcome' of the recording is the electronic record itself.  Certain
actions 'result' in findings.  For instance, a cpr:screening is a
cpr:clinical-act which results in the determination of a
cpr:medical-problem.  The cpr:clinical-acts are recorded as
cpr:clinical-descriptions:

[ a cpr:clinical-description;
   dc:date "2006-12-06"^^xsd:date;
   foaf:maker [ foaf:mbox <mailto:ogbujic@ccf.org> ];
   rdfs:label 'Cardiac Catheterization @ 2006-12-06';
   cpr:description-of
    [ a cpr:screening;
      a cpr:CardiacCatheterization;
      inf:realizes
       [ a cpr:medical-sign;
         galen:hasSpecificCause [ a cpr:CoronaryArteryStenosis ]
       ]
    ]
]

> It will be great if Kerstin can point us to the "use cases" and metrics in the
> Pharma context which would drive the modeling efforts.

Above is such a concrete "use case", I'm sure we can formulate many more.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation