[BioRDF] Taxonomic Databases Working Group and LSIDs

From: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:02:31 -0400
To: "public-semweb-lifesci hcls" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
I would like to point out the Taxonomic Databases Working Group
(TDWG) and their work with trying to establish a system of Global
Unique Identifiers (GUIDs).

http://wiki.gbif.org/guidwiki/wikka.php?wakka=GUID2Report

At this point in time they are recommending (within their community)
the use of LSIDs WITH metadata in the form of RDF.

I would like to propose that we include this on the list of examples
for the LSID/URI discussion in BioRDF (just added to http://
esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Tasks/URI_Best_Practices/
LSID_Pros_%26_Cons). I think they have some great global examples of
how to use such identifiers.

Eric

Eric Neumann, PhD
co-chair, W3C Healthcare and Life Sciences,
and Senior Director Product Strategy
Teranode Corporation
83 South King Street, Suite 800
Seattle, WA 98104