RE: Implications and Issues in Converting UML to RDF/OWL When Constructing HL7 RIM Ontology

I agree with Helen. In general, we need to be very careful about translating
from the UML to the OWL meta-model.

It is quite likely that there are multiple alternatives in OWL for representing
the same UML construct and we would

probably need best practices for the same.

Towards this end, it would be very useful to understand the use cases and
requirements for which this translation is required.

The questions we need to answer are:

-          What is the value of this translation? May be for the particular use
case and requirement, it's not really useful?

-          What are the assumptions behind the use cases? Typically these
assumptions would help determine a more appropriate

and accurate translation.

RIM appears to be more of a "meta-model" rather than an "ontology" and the
semantics of the various constructs have not been

defined accurately. There has been a lot of discussion. Also, one needs to
understand issues related to whether we are building an information model

for HL7 message content or an information model for persistence to be mapped
into a database schema or one for decision support?

I would strongly recommend that this exercise, which is very valuable, should be
carried out in the context of a well defined use

case. Doing it in the abstract could result in making arbitrary modeling
decisions which may detract from the usefulness of the

translation.

Cheers,

---Vipul