Re: OWL Lite or DL?

From: Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:18:16 +0200
To: <larry.hunter@uchsc.edu>, <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:28:03 -0600, Larry Hunter wrote:
> In my experience, many complex knowledge modeling projects benefit
> from the use of metaclasses.  For example, if the domain of a
> relationship is limited to several specific classes, it makes sense
> to model those classes as members of a particular metaclass (i.e.,
> one that supports a particular slot type).   There are gyrations
> one can do to avoid metaclasses

Yes, you cannot do such complex knowledge modelling, and that it is good thing.
Having the possibilty to make such complex (meta, meta-meta...) models does not only complicate reasoning -- it complicates almost everything: GUIs, queries, ontology editors, optimized datastores and last but not least the process of ontology development and re-use itself. Giving the developers the possibilty of such constructs adds another degree of freedom to ontology development, resulting in even more diverse, incompatible and possibly faulty ontologies.

cheers, Matthias