Re: [HCLS] Bridging Ontology...An Automated Approach?

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:04 AM, Mork, Peter D.S. wrote:

> I second the request for specific examples because, in my
> experience, most mediators rely on a logical data model with
> queries (SQL or XQuery) mapping the underlying data models into the
> mediated model.
In performing the cross-model mapping, at some point, one needs to
specify the semantic relatedness of the attributes in the entities
being inter-related.  For example, if in one data model you are
storing the descriptions about the shape organ sub-regions and
descriptions about the shape of cells in the same entity called
"biomaterial_shape" with attributes "biomaterial entity" and "shape",
while in another source data model these are stored in separate
entities called "organ_subregion_shape" and "cell_shape", these two
different models need to map in different ways into the "global"
mediator schema, and the ways will mainly differ based on the
semantic means used to specify different levels of anatomical
resolution.
> In some cases (e.g., TAMBIS), the mediating model is actually an
> ontology, but this is rare.
[BB] It's been rare to date, because so few ontologies have been
created with commensurate foundations.  That is beginning to change.
> The mappings themselves are expressed in a language with
> sophisticated transformative capabilities because of the myriad
> incompatibilities that exist.
[BB] Absolutely.  These languages are very powerful, but many of the
transformational grammars require mixing lexical manipulations and
semantic manipulations, as is quite common when using UMLS.  This
again can introduce inconsistencies in interpretation, as you attempt
to build on the first level of semantic correlations you derive from
the mappings.
>  For example, aggregation is not supported by many rule or ontology
> languages.
[BB] Again, I completely agree, aggregation is not necessarily
supported by some ontological structures, though lexically-oriented
graphs are quite good at dealing with aggregations.  The Wordnet
SynSets are a good example of this.  TopicMaps (XTM) also have some
advantages to provide in this arena.  These derive from the field of
text summarization and set theoretical approaches to knowledge
organization, which can differ somewhat from the graph theory based
methods used in the XML world and often used in ontological
formalisms.  That's why it can be valuable to keep lexical and
semantic formalisms distinct, though the must definitely interoperate.

>  Neither are regular expressions.
[BB]: Regex's are an extremely valuable tool in the lexical analysis
toolkit, but they have nothing to do with ontologies.  One would hope
the results of a Regex-based analysis would be linked to an ontology,
but if things are constructed in the proper manner, there is no need
for Regex-capability within the ontological framework.

> Peter Mork

Bill Bug