Re: [HCLS] Bridging Ontologies - with Foundational Ontologies

Hi All,

I think Chimezie and Matthias are definitely on the right path here.

As I see it, the bottom-up approach to semantic KE/KR that SemWebTech
is so suited to must be wedded to the top-down approach using an
upper level ontology such as DOLCE or OBR (version of BFO designed
for use in biology**).

As Matthias and Chemezie have both pointed out, if you have two data
repositories covering overlapping domains of knowledge, if they don't
use the same fundamental formalized expression for those core
entities they have in common - say, for instance, a continuant (or
perdurant) - an entity whose existence extends over some time
interval - then it won't be possible to automatically determine which
entities they describe are in fact related in a fundamental way.  I
most definitely agree with them based on the work we are doing on the
BIRN Ontology Task Force.  We are trying to import the FuGO ontology
- recently expanded to cover all biomedical experimental domains at a
"generic" level and to be re-christened - likely to Ontology of
Biomedical Investigation (OBI) [don't quote me on that].  We need to
make certain the collection of "Biomaterial Entities" we specifically
define for annotating data in BIRN are ontologically equivalent at
the base level.  The only way for us to do this is for OBI and the
BIRNLex knowledge representation framework we are building to both
import and reference the same upper level ontology.  Unfortunately,
at this time, there is no published version of UBO (see below), so we
both end up recapitulating the upper level ontology elements in our
individual OWL files.  Ultimately - and hopefully very soon - there
will be a UBO for us both to reference externally.

If you don't approach the task of semantic interoperability with a
shared ontological graph where all the nodes are very clearly defined
according to a set of empirically derived "best practices" (e.g., the
OBO Foundry Principles - http://obofoundry.org/) - say you were to do
a single "bridge" between NeuronDB and CocoDat - there is no
guarantee that bridge will be of any use beyond linking NeuronDB to
CocoDat.  In other words, it won't necessarily follow the mapping can
link either NeuronDB or CocoDat to any other knowledge repository
covering overlapping domains - even if you use terms from the UMLS.
As we discussed before - and as Olivier from the NLM UMLS research
staff mentioned - UMLS is not an ontology, it is a unified thesaurus
of the medical lexicon as described by several dozen popular,
overlapping controlled vocabularies.  There are all sorts of ontology
construction "best practices" it's underlying semantic graphs do not
obey (e.g., do not combine distinct mereotopological "part of
relations" and subsuptive "is a" relations all in the same graph).
This is even true of the UMLS Semantic Network - the closest thing
UMLS has to an ontology.  Olivier mentioned work is underway to
review the SN and consider how to bring it closer in line with
ontology construction "best practices" without breaking existing
systems (http://mor.nlm.nih.gov/snw/).

I would add I don't see this approach as being incompatible with
bottom-up approaches to KE/KR.  Along the lines Vipul mentioned in
response to Don, it certainly is possible to refine and improve the
underlying semantic graph based on observed statistical correlations
amongst related entities.  One can also put complex network
dependencies in place with weights adjusted according to periodic
reduction of the accruing semantically formalized repository. At this
point in time, it difficult to imagine how the underlying ontology
could auto-adjust to such feedback.  An ontology is a bit less
flexible that the sort of classification and summarization methods
used by Google - no matter how sophisticated the algorithmic
implementation of such a system may be.  However, periodic review
could certainly help point out emerging logical inconsistencies (and
novel consistencies).  Still, devising a means to "evolve" the
ontological graph based on statistical analysis of semantically
formal representation of phenotype observations (and commensurate
formal descriptions of the investigative procedures used to make
those observations) is really what will provide the greatest payoff,
I believe.  It will help tie together several important threads:
	- deriving a deeper understanding of the emergent higher level
activities such as neurodevelopment, learning, memory, and cognitive
processing TO genetic networks, enzymatic pathways, receptor-mediated
cellular events, and ion-channel triggered cell physiological events;
	- linking observations made in animal models to clinical practice.

Cheers,
Bill

**OBR (http://ontology.buffalo.edu/medo/biomedo.htm) will likely be
re-christened UBO and be associated with the OBO Foundry effort.  In
fact, use of UBO will likely become one of the OBO Foundry "Principles"

On Aug 22, 2006, at 5:11 AM, Matthias Samwald wrote:

> I also think that smaller foundational ontologies like DOLCE are
> the key to interoperability between ontologies. It seems like the
> only way to ensure good interoperability is the agreement on some
> basic structures and design patterns. When two OWL ontologies are
> based on two totally different world-views to start with, it
> becomes almost impossible to build a bridge between the two that
> serves some practical use. Maybe we should look more into the use
> of foundational ontologies and best-practices of their use and
> extension, and less on the alignment of ontologies that have
> already developed into totally different directions
>
> In metaphoric words: Our task is not to build brigdes between stray
> villages on different islands. Our task is to find the most livable
> island and tell all of the villagers to settle there.
>
>>  Unfortunately, bio-zen was more oriented to concepts at the
>>  molecular
>>  level than for my needs, but any connection made to DOLCE would
>>  automatically orient themselves with bio-zen (or any other
>>  derivatives).
>
> Great to hear that! It really seems that most of the promises of
> semantic web ontologies are only realised when top-level ontologies
> like DOLCE are used. Maybe we should evaluate the potential use of
> DOLCE or BFO for the BioRDF tasks?
>
> kind regards,
> Matthias Samwald

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.