Re: [BioRDF] Scalability

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:39:03 +0200
To: "Gary Schiltz" <gss@ncgr.org>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

On 4/5/06, Gary Schiltz <gss@ncgr.org> wrote:

 I wonder if RAM is becoming faster/cheaper
> at a sufficiently fast rate to keep up with or outpace the growth of our
> databases of RDF triples - I suspect not.

Ian Foster :
[[
A useful metric for the rate of technological change is the average
period during which speed or capacity doubles or, more or less
equivalently, halves in price. For storage, networks, and computing
power, these periods are around 12, 9, and 18 months, respectively.
The different time constants associated with these three exponentials
have significant implications.
]]
http://www.gridcomputingplanet.com/opinions/article.php/1008821

I suspect the implications for folks working with triples is : nippy
algorithms needed :-)

Cheers,
Danny.

--