  From: helen.chen@agfa.com
  To: Phillip.Lord@newcastle.ac.uk ; wangxiao@musc.edu
  Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org ; public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org ; wangxiao@musc.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:02 PM
  Subject: RE: Antwort: RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

  Hi, Phil and Xiaoshu

  >> (3) All these ontologies are still developed in a monolithic manner.
  >> No consideration about the granuality and practicality has been
  >> emphasized.

  >There have been many considerations of practicality made. Monolithic
  >development is a problem, but both OBO and the MGED ontologies have
  >been attemping to ensure consistency between ontologies as well as
  >minimise overlap.

  Even with many considerations and increasing community efforts in developing ontologies to be consumed by semantic web, I am afraid the "monolithic development" problem will be with us for a long time.   Ontologies developed within different specialties and sub-domains will always be fragmented and rather "monolithic" in their own right.

  In Healthcare domain, different regulatory bodies may develop ontologies for their practice guidelines, and disease management centers develop their own care plans and protocols.   It is not realistic to hope for a well-coordinated ontology that covers everything nicely under the hood.

  What I understand of the power of semantic web technology lays the connecting and inference capability between those "fragmented" knowledge bases.  This connection is to be reached by a thin layer of "over-arching" ontology and a set of basic rules. We have limited experience in linking (mapping) our rather "monolithically developed" RPGOntology (ontology for EU-radiation protection guideline) with SNOMED CT(http://www.snomed.org/snomedct/).  The benefit of such connection can not be over-stated.

  Helen

  Helen Chen, Ph.D
  Research and Innovation Center for Healthcare
  Global Architecture and Design Group
  Agfa Healthcare

  http://www.agfa.com/healthcare