RE: Tools

From: wangxiao <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:52:47 -0400
To: "'public-semweb-lifesci'" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

-Eric,

> Helen's point is a very good one.
>
> At the risk of stating what may or may not be obvious to all,
> there are several *general* tools that are focused on helping
> people create ontologies that may be useful.  In no
> particular order ...

Here is my two cents on the topics.

I actually hold a bit different opinion on this.  I think at the beginning
stage, one should try to do hand editing.  I played around with Protégé
before, I think because of historic reasons, it uses a lot of terms in
semantic network.  I saw a lot of people discussing ontologies using "slot",
"roles", etc. I don't have any grudge on protégé, which I think is a great
software.  But this sort of dialect is not healthy to advance SW
technologies. And I also that see many ontologies are developed with an OO
thinking. Doing it manually actually helps to understand the technology, at
least that is my experience.  But of course, tool is useful to speed things
up but only when people knows what the tool are doing for them.

Xiaoshu