Re: Antwort: RE: Semantic web article in Nature Biotechnology

Xiaoshu wrote:
-----------
In short, a Profile is an ontology that only handles the merging of
ontologies but do not create concepts under its own namespace.  All
ontologies shall be deployed as a local ontology, i.e, ontologies without
using foreign concepts. And complext ontologies, i.e., those import foreign
concepts should be normalized into local ontologies and profile.  Such a
separation will increase ontology reuse and system's robustness because all
ontology is disjoint from each other.  In addition, it maximize overall
system expressiveness.  Now, ontology creator shall try to develop ontology
without thinking how it relates to others.  On the other hand, using
o3:Profile allows all ontologies be combined according to a users' viewpoint
or an application profile. The separation, IMHO, is very important.  And
this is a concrete engineer principle that everyone can follow without
subjective debate.
-------------

It is always good to have suggestions and approaches.
I have some questions though:

1. In a Profile - how can it merge ontologies without having "concepts"
under its namespace -- what good will this bring us??  When you say "merge"
I assume merge and not integrate.  For example, A "protein_name" and
"protein_length" can be in one ontology and another ontology has
"protein_state" and "protein_distance".  Now merging is putting all four
attributes in a name_space but doesn't create a dependency between the
attributes -- correct?  This means if I have a protein name I will not be
able to know its state.  If yes, than what is the benefit of merging them?
Merge is a useful term and activity when two sets of identical form and
shape or semantically the same attributes are merged - e.g. proteins from
Exp1 and proteins from Exp2 when merged will provide me with list of
proteins I worked on.  Each ontology is different so will the "merge" work??

2. Complex ontologies should be "normalized" into local ontologies.  Hmm, ..
How do you normalize an ontology and why?  What are the rules according to
which a normalization "level" is achieved and what are the benefits of a
normalized ontology.  In a relational database normalization is clear
according to a set of rules and it is an exercise that is iterated until a
desired normalization level is achieved (the 5 levels known).  The benefits
of normalization is to eliminate redundancies, ensure correctness in a
schema, etc....  Please clarify how does this transfer to ontologies.

I agree with Robert Stevens that more TOOLS are needed so a scientist
doesn't have to spend few days or months working on normalizing a set of
ontologies for example.

Thanks
-Wafik