Re: Uniprot RDF in RDF Gateway

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:53:46 +0200
To: Geoff Chappell <gchappell@intellidimension.com>
CC: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Geoff Chappell wrote:
> One surprise was that though the ontology specifies range of props to be
> xmlschema datatypes, in the files they're actually plain literals. That
> caused a re-load when I realized that (because I wanted them to be typed so
> they'd be indexed as such). I've also discovered that some of the dates
> didn't parse coming in (when treated as xsd:dates) - I'm not sure yet if
> that's your issue or mine. I'll resolve that (possibly by making my date
> parser less strict) and reload. Otherwise so far so good :-)

I've been reluctant to include explicit data types in the instance data,
because they increase the data volume considerably, and can be inferred
from the ontology anyway (as you do). Alternatively, a query system might
even decide to detect basic data types (number, boolean, date, string) on
its own.

Regarding the date issue: Where the ontology specifies an xsd:date, you may
find any of '2005-05-12' (xsd:date), '2005-05' (xsd:gYearMonth) or '2005'
(xsd:gYear). I changed the 'date' property back to a plain literal for the
next release, and until I find a better solution.