Using LSIDs with rdf:ID attributes

From: Peter Hussey <peterhus@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:14:59 -0700
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Cc: Mark Igra <migra@fhcrc.org>

I am working on an XML schema for describing experiment data to be
loaded into a repository.  I want to use LSIDs for the identifiers of
things in the database.  I want these identifiers to be described in
an instance document using the RDF/XML syntax for identifiers.  In
particular I want to use the rdf:ID attribute within an xml:base URI
to assign an LSID to an entity that will be loaded into the

The spec for the rdf:ID attribute says that the resolved name of a
rdf:ID attribute contains a "#" fragment separator.  For example,

  <?xml version="1.0" ?>
<rdf:Description rdf:ID="FractionA15">

The rdf rules say that the resulting id looks like

I can't find any examples nor any references that state clearly
whether this is a legal LSID.   An LSID is a URN, the only URN spec I
can find says that "#" is reserved.  Subsequent URI specs describe
URNs as a subset of URIs, and the rules for fragments in URIs (there
can be only one, the right-most portion of the URI).

If fragments are legal in LSIDs, the following questions also arise:
is an LSID  allowed to have a fragment separator in either the object
identifier OR the revision identifier?  If an LSID has a fragment in
the obejct identifier is a revision identifier still allowed?

thanks in advance,
Peter Hussey
LabKey Software

the specs I've been trying to understand are the following:
RDF/XML spec:

URN spec:

latest URI spec