RE: SemWeb BOF @ ISMB 04

I guess the quickest answer would be that you could use DFDL to view any
of the legacy hex formats discussed in the SHF spec as SHF (assuming
someone who knows the legacy format creats a DFDL file describing it).

To take a different example (same topic), DFDL will allow you to state
that a file contains, for example, two 32 bit integers in little endian
format that should be named x and y, followed by an array (population)
of floating point numbers (count) that has dimensions x by y. You could
also state that the units used in the array are organisms/km**2
(information that is not in the file - just a constant for this file
type). Thus, the binary data (two ints and some floats), could be
handled as though it were
<DFDL>
<x>3</x>
<y>4</y>
<population
t>...
</population>
</DFDL>

Thus, rather than defining how to encode an array in XML, DFDL allows
you to map from your binary data to the structure (potentially a
community standard schema) you desire.

DFDL parsers could realize the XML and hand it back or, if you only
wanted the value at [2,2] the parser could compute the offset and simply
return the requested <count/> element. One might also use a parser
within an application and start with a DOM tree, without ever realizing
the XML text.

  Jim