RE: SemWeb BOF @ ISMB 04

From: Sean Martin <sjmm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:41:34 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Cc: <wangxiao@musc.edu>
>I believe one of the main problem in life science is the same as the
>original problem that Eric Neumann has posted.  That is how to refer part
>non-RDF document.

>In my cases, my concern is this.  For some applications, such as data
>and retrieval, I actually wanted the gel encoded in a "compact" form.
>Personally, I don't think XML is a good solution because there are more
>overhead than the actual payload.  Neither will RDF a good solution for
>same reason.  It is not that difficult to create an arbitrary format to
>encode the gel data in a compact text based format but then I don't know
>the URI should be assigned to each individual spot.  The URI for the spot
>important because if a spot is IDed or used to perform MS.  The URI can
>it easy to associate other type of descriptions.

If I have understood you correctly, you are describing one of the use
cases for the Life Sciences URN identifier. A single LSID can describe and
give remote programatic access to both your data (the gel data in the
format you invented or some other standard format appropriate to that data
if one exists) and  any amount of metadata in RDF that describes that data
and its cross-relationships with other entities.

Once an LSID name is created for any data and made available, third
parties (or other applications) can use it to attach their own RDF
metadata to the data you have named with that LSID. Any LSID can be used
in RDF as an indentifying URI (a resource), but with the difference that
your software can automatically dereference it to discover and retrieve a
copy of the data it names and the metadata that describes it. This may in
turn include pointers to further LSID named resources.

Kindest regards, Sean

Sean Martin
IBM Corp.