Re: Domain specific ontologies in the sciences

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:44:46 +0200
To: David States <dstates@bioinformatics.med.umich.edu>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

> Term collision

I believe this is handled pretty well, as terms are always defined in
specific namespaces. Hence my:Gene is not necessarily equivalent to
your:Gene (though we could state that it is).

> Specific vs. general use

It is possible to define my:association as an rdfs:subPropertyOf of some
more general property. I do see the problem that you may end up having
to define special sets of terms for every paper...

> Polymorphic definitions

As pointed out above, my:Gene may be your junk DNA. While the problem
can be solved by using different namespaces for different definitions of
a term, how do you describe precisely how two definitions differ? This
can be difficult, even when done in an informal way.