Re: Chemistry and the Semantic Web

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:09:30 +0200
To: "Hammond, Tony" <T.Hammond@nature.com>
Cc: Eric.Neumann@aventis.com, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

> I'm, not sure though what you intend by %-encoding the '#' char. XPointer is
> a _client-side_ addressing mechanism, i.e. it works by using URI fragments,
> which are incompatible with URN syntax.

The original problem was to construct a URI that can be used to
reference and retrieve a part of a non-RDF, XML document. It seems this
can be done by abusing the XPointer syntax, provided you encode any
special characters, but maybe it is indeed better to come up with a
different solution. Any suggestions?