Re: [remote-playback] How should disableRemotePlayback/hideRemoteControls behave?

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, at 11:52, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
> Does disableRemotePlayback as now specced mirror the behaviour of
> x-webkit-wirelessvideoplaybackdisabled?
>
> Looking at this the other way: if the start() would not fail when the
> disableRemotePlayback attribute is set, what would a reasonable behaviour
> look like?
>
> Just thinking on top of my head: would the UA e.g. inform the user that
> the remote playback of the content is disabled, but nevertheless allow
> the user to proceed with remote playback? A bit similarly to how a user
> gets a "confirm form resubmission" interstitial warning if trying to
> repost cached content.
>
> I think explicitly rejecting the promise as suggested by Jer would be
> better for interoperability and would make for a more consistent UX too.
> And as a bonus, make the API more polyfillable.

If `start()` were to work even if the attribute was set, I don't think
having a user warning would be useful. If `start()` is called, I would
expect that the websites has a UI that allows remote playback of the
video so the user and the website are clearly expecting the video to be
played remotely at that point.

I think one of the benefits of blocking remote playback is that such
"bug" in the website would be caught early because the remote playback
would fail consistently in all browsers. A website could easily remove
the attribute and call `start()` if they need to.

-- Mounir