Re: Allow page to designate itself as presentation session

Hey Everyone,

First, regarding the question about family games on Chromecast, I can
comment on this.  As the public Google Cast SDKs show, the communication
model in Cast has always always for multiple senders to be connected in
parallel to a single receiver.  Cast semantics define that if the user
chooses to present to a target, and it's already running the requested app
ID, then the running session can be joined.

The Presentation API (around manually joining an existing session in
particular, but also around programmatically joining a session by ID) is
essentially equivalent to this, except we match on presentationUrl +
presentationId.

To Jean-Claude's original question, I feel the presentationId semantics
already cover much of what's necessary - quite intentionally:

   - To create a single-player only session that can never be joined,
   supply a random presentationId when starting the session.  The UA that
   created the session can rejoin it later (e.g. remember via local storage),
   but nobody else can.

   - To create a limited multiplayer game (e.g. where I invite you),
   generate a presentationId on the server, and distribute it to clients.  The
   semantics already defined in 5.1 and 5.2 now allow manual or automatic
   connection, but only by those invited to the game.

   - To create an open multiplayer game, omit the presentationId.  Anyone
   can now join the session as long as the presentationUrl matches.

The main gap necessary to allow multiple simultaneous senders is on the
messaging side; the sender side doesn't change much, but the presentation
session needs to differentiate between senders (can be done at the app
level), and needs to be able to send messages back to all senders (ideally,
individually, though broadcast could work with app-level filtering).

We'd have to decide if we want this to be in scope, but as the gaming
example shows, it is actually useful to support this.

Mark.