Re: [sdw] New project proposal: OWL Space (#1095)

From observing people try to tackle spatial concepts in ontologies (and
other structures) and attempting to describe organisation of data with
QB4ST I would suggest that a "kitchen sink" approach would be hard to make
work - it will be too complex for most and too simple or narrowly scoped to
meet many needs.

I would like to consider the "competency questions" for such an ontology
and specifically how it relates to others:

geoSPARQL defines a range of geometry data types and operations, but has
nothing to help describe what any such geometries might mean

many geometries are in fact observations of a feature property, and CRS is
technical detail of that result. Topology tends to be an easier case, but
only if you are not relying on spatial operations. competency questions
about how features relate topologically overlap _some_ of geosparql - but
we must remember that two features who are adjacent by definition may have
approximated geometries that do not have precise geometric relationship.

knowing what pieces we need to work together, but keeping each simple means
working out the competency questions for each part.  I would be looking for
symmetries here - as a straw man owl:time and owl:space may support similar
operations.  something that supports feature topology - topoSPARQL ? and
something that handles how to describe how a geometric property
semantically relates to a feature consistent with SOSA.

Rob