RE: Welcome to SDWIG

Hi Linda, Jeremy

Many thanks for your welcome. My background is as a scientist (now retired) in environmental data modelling and I’ve been putting spatial environmental data onto the web since building a web mapping site in the early 1990s. I now lead the ISO 19170-1 – Discrete Global Grid Systems (DGGS) standard which I plan to submit for DIS vote in January. I am one of the chairs of the OGC DGGS SWG, that published OGC’s Abstract Standard Topic 21, which has evolved into ISO 19170-1, and I am also OGC’s co-chair on the TC211/OGC Joint Advisory Group. So at TC211’s Omiya meeting in December – which Ted and I attended remotely – I heard Ted’s presentation on W3C’s Automotive activities and reached out to him afterwards to see what alignment there might be between W3C Automotive and DGGS, so we had a zoom meeting and he recommended I join SDWIG.

One of the drivers in DGGS design is alignment with linked data, big data processing and cloud architectures, so I’m looking forward to engaging with W3C opportunities.

As a heads up for SDWIG members, our OGC/TC211 DGGS roadmap includes

Part 1 – Core Reference System and Operations, and Equal Area Earth Reference System conformance classes
Part 2 – 3D Equal Volume Reference Systems
Part 3 – Spatio-temporal reference systems
Part 4 – Axis Aligned Reference systems

Parts 2 & 4 will almost certainly kick off as soon as Part 1 goes to DIS vote.

DGGS API, and best practice guides are also planned but not yet explicitly aligned with Part numbers.

DGGS API work is already underway, but not yet formally within an OGC SWG, and so it is an open question as to whether it will finish up as a Part of 19170 or of the OGC API suite / 19168 Geospatial API for Features. Philosophically my preference is for DGGS implementation standards to be extensions of existing feature standards wherever that is possible – which I believe should be the majority of cases – rather than a completely new stack under 19170. The aim is to facilitate cross-domain convergence, and I think that can be most easily achieved by creating opportunities to align DGGS capability with existing functionality.

Apologies if this intro was a bit more than you bargained for 😊

Cheers
Robert

ROBERT GIBB
Informatics Research Associate