RE: Area of spatial objects

Hi Frans,

Thanks for these suggestions, and good use of Australian coordinates and datum!

I understand the issue of the inseparable CRS as this is something that has bothered me for a while. I’ll look over the IGNF ontology now as you indicate it could be twisted for use to avoid this.

However, I’m not certain about Feature > Geometry > Area. While Area is CRS-dependent, I don’t find it intuitive that area is a type of or within a Geometry. I find it more intuitively an observed property that just happens to be dependent on measurement systems, here CRS. This put it, for me, in the same category as a measured geometry but it doesn’t need to be within a geometry. Having said all that, I do indeed see the logic of what you propose so I think I will have to test out some real data, formulated in both ways, and try and compare representational power or querying results. We do have a lot of data we are working on right now so I’ll do this shortly. Here, for instance, is a water catchment, delivered by a large Linked Data API we are now working on, whose area representations we could improve: http://geofabricld.net/catchment/12502258.

Using your suggested formulation, I would probably represent that catchment’s area like this:

<featureX/geometry2> a geo:Geometry;
  dbpo:area "0.0005254"^^xsd:double; # needs checking
  geom:crs <http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/????>; # needs checking
.

<featureX/geometry2> a geo:Geometry;
  dbpo:area "0.0005125"^^xsd:double; # needs checking
  geom:crs <http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/????>; # needs checking
.

I’ll get back to you (this thread) after some tests!

Cheers,

Nick