Re: Area of spatial objects

I don't often chip into these discussion but this one really piqued my
interest as areas have particular significance in the marine world. Within
UNCLOS, bay closing lines are drawn (which allow baselines to extended
seawards) dependent on a comparison between the area enclosed by the bay
and a "semi-circle" drawn between the two points. within UNCLOS there are
also a predominance of geodesics vs loxodromes (and a multiplicity of
datums used as reference systems). so... I would echo Peter's point, areas
need to be rigorously defined and, rather than defining a computation
system, they can be defined relative to a metric over a surface which is
basically just a function mapping two points to a unique scalar distance.
In that sense, area can be defined and it can then apply across multiple
datums, surfaces, geoids, doughnuts and whatever other shapes you wish.
this also avoids the coastline paradox by asserting the length of the
coastline is just the sum of the individual segment lengths (each of which
is defined by your chosen metric) and nicely bridges the conceptual divide
between measurements at very large and progressively smaller scales....
hopefully this contributes to the concept ontologically speaking (obv)...
:-)

Jonathan

*Jonathan Pritchard*

*Senior Technical Manager*

*IIC Technologies Limited*

Tel. : +44 7464 371 695

E-Mail: jonathan.pritchard@iictechnologies.com

Website : www.iictechnologies.com
<https://webmail.iictechnologies.com/owa/redir.aspx?REF=jcm7Dzua7doTRqPcPuGqSxxj9-xR0cx_fmuUE7HOO-NRiPyPorrTCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LmlpY3RlY2hub2xvZ2llcy5jb20v>

IIC Technologies Limited, a company registered in England and Wales,
registration number: 2746976

Registered office: The Catalyst, York Science Park, Baird Lane, York, YO10
5GA, United Kingdom