Re: Telcon on Tech Trends coordination (SDWIG ACTION-391)

SDW IG,

This message records the outcomes of the August 14th Telcon on Tech Trends coordination.
-  Recording and Transcript of the telecon
 https://transcripts.gotomeeting.com/#/s/8a18cd4a622cd86bc734bb47be471ce7000d1499b765f2ef87009eb50badd170
- Notes recorded by me during the telecon are listed below
- Email exchange with Rob Smith after he viewed the recording is listed below

Next Steps:
 • George to update trends based on comments and email from Josh after the telecon.
 • George and Gobe to work with Joe on permissions and forking.
 • Schedule a future coordination telecon: perhaps in October - before TPAC

Thanks for all the great input for coordination,
George

OGC Tech Trends process
Quick reminder of the process and current state overall
Tech Trends public page draft:  http://www.opengeospatial.org/OGCTechTrends <http://www.opengeospatial.org/OGCTechTrends>
Comments
Chris/Jermey: Conflation of OGC Tech Trends and W3C SDW Funnel may result in confusion
Continue in parallel and coordinate - keep each other informed.  See what is happening and coordinate.
Michael: define relatively informal process for coordination
Make it selectable text and make the links clickable.
George: add horizons discussion to website: "next and after-next"
Tech Trends on GitHub including how to comment
Based on SDWIG discussion in Ft Collins we have revised the process for comments.
Each Trend has a link to an Issues page.  Public comments are invited as issues; moderation of issues will result in updates to Trends.
"Spatial data on the web” category of tech trends
Currently 6 issues listed in this category:
https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc>
Categorizing
Graphic trends as probability vs. consequence.
Chris comment
Periodic table in addition to Mindmap
example trend: "Web Scale Programming" trend
Trend description: https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/OtherTrends/WebTrends.adoc <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/OtherTrends/WebTrends.adoc>
Issue for Trend: https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/issues/33 <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/issues/33>
Comments trends
Linked Data
Linda:  Change to “Web of Data” not necessarily linked to RDF.
See the first 3 Best Practices of SDW BPs
Linda would draft a trend description - Please
Josh: browser ability to do spatial temporal alignment, e.g, MapML
Joe - native browser support?  Josh Yes
Chris:  Blair McIntyre Mozilla - Browser knows where its at.
Michael: how deeply spatial data is embedded in the web, vs. need for special tools beyond browser.  Basic native support for spatial.
Context setting based on location beyond visual
location in html and http have been discussed but not solidified.
W3C geoloc  - use cases that may be of relevance to SDW
Lightweight encodings
JSON is now.  What is Next and after Next?
[opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends] Update chapter-05.adoc (#91)
Pull Request from Linda
Other topics as desired
Spatial data on the Web Roadmap
https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/ <https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/>
W3C Roadmap is now and next.  Is existing standards development
https://github.com/w3c/strategy/projects/2?card_filter_query=label%3Ageospatial <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/projects/2?card_filter_query=label%3Ageospatial>
Josh: how to do spatial dimensions on the web
Some the questions raised in CoverageJSON are more fundamental
Data cubes and other frameworks are needed.
Is there a need for Coverage (mapping of domain to range) to be represented in the Web technology.
Josh to write this up as a new trend.
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/15 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/15>
Chris
Changes
Anyone can do a Fork and then a Pull Request
need to confirm this works with Joe who has pull request
Should Text Analytics be revised to be more about Web technologies or should it be moved to another Meta Trend?
Francois: could be affected by edge computing
Michael: may be related to https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/capture.html <https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/capture.html>
Next steps
post notes
ACTONs as recorded to edit trends.