Re: SSN Ontology Recommendation: inquiry about SSNX satisfiability

Dear all,

First, the online version of ssn-dul at http://www.w3.org/ns/ssn/dul does
not correspond to the latest one described in the spec. It should
correspond to the one at
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/tree/gh-pages/ssn/integrated/

I think that's a minor issue and can be fixed really fast by François.
(@François, I'll send you the RDF/XML version as well)
I reported this as ISSUE #997 on github.

Still, there is an insatisfiability whose origin is hasResult.

In a nutshell, the axioms (1) and (2) are too strict and should be relaxed
to (1') and (2') :

sosa:hasResult ≡ oldssn:hasValue (1)
sosa:hasResult ≡ oldssn:observationResult (2)

oldssn:hasValue ⊑ sosa:hasResult (1')
oldssn:observationResult ⊑ sosa:hasResult (2')

Axiom (1) is causing the following problem.
oldssn:hasValue is a sub-property of dul:hasRegion, whose range in DUL has
dul:Abstract as a super-class.
Yet, a sosa:Sampling procedure have only sosa:Sample as a result, and
sosa:Sample is a sub-class of ( dul:Event or dul:Object or dul:Quality )

Axiom (2) is causing a few problem that are non trivial, but basically it
boils down to either:
 - disjunction between dul:SocialObject and dul:PhysicalObject .
 - disjunctions between dul:Event and dul:Object .

If one relaxes (1) and (2) into (1') and (2'), then the insatisfiability no
longer holds.

I reported this as ISSUE #998 on github so that other editors can help
making the appropriate decision here.
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/998

Best,
Maxime