Re: What is a property?

Hi Simon, all,

Let me propose a translation of the ISO 19109 model to RDF:

(1) there are Feature-types (classes), and Features of interest (instances
of those classes)
--> Feature-types are RDFS/OWL Classes, they are sub-classes of
sosa:FeatureOfInterest, and their instances are Features of Interest

ex1: ex:Room is a RDFS/OWL class that represents a Feature-type, and
<roomX> is an instance of that class that represents a Feature (of Interest)
ex2: ex:Building is a RDFS/OWL class that represents a Feature-type, and
<buildingX> is an instance of that class that represents a Feature (of
Interest)

(2) there are properties, and these properties may have instances.
--> properties are RDFS/OWL Classes, sub-classes of sosa:ObservableProperty
(and by transitivity, also of ssn:Property), and their instances are named
"property instances".

ex: ex:Occupancy is a RDFS/OWL class that represents a Property.
<buildingXoccupancy> and <roomXoccupancy> are instances of that class and
represent "property instances".

Then:

(a) a property instance cannot exist in the absence of a feature (of
interest)

ex1:  <buildingXoccupancy> cannot exist in the absence of <buildingX>
ex2: <roomXoccupancy> cannot exist in the absence of <roomX>

(b) Feature-types (classes) are characterized by a set of properties

ex1:  ex:Building is characterized by a set of properties, and this set
contains property ex:Occupancy

ex:Building rdfs:subClassOf [
  owl:onProperty ssn:hasProperty ;
  owl:someValuesFrom ex:Occupancy ] .

<buildingX> rdf:type ex:Building   ;
  ssn:hasProperty <buildingXoccupancy> .

<buildingXoccupancy> rdf:type ex:Occupancy .

(c) But each (well most, anyway) property may relate to more than one
feature-type (and implicitly to many more than one individual feature)
--> ex:Occupancy can relate to more than ex:Building, it can also relate to
ex:Room.

ex:Room rdfs:subClassOf [
  owl:onProperty ssn:hasProperty ;
  owl:someValuesFrom ex:Occupancy ] .

<roomX> rdf:type ex:Room ;
  ssn:hasProperty <roomXoccupancy> .

<roomXoccupancy>  rdf:type ex:Occupancy .

To me, everything is fine there:
 - what is named "xxx-type" is translated in RDFS/OWL as a class
 - what is named "xxx instance" is translated in RDFS/OWL as an instance

ex1: for Feature-type and feature (of interest)
- Feature-types are translated in RDFS/OWL as classes
- Features (of interest) are translated in RDFS/OWL as instances.

ex1: for properties and their instances:
- observable (and actuatable) properties are made classes
- instances of theses properties are instances.

If instead we want to translate ISO 19101 properties into rdf:Properties
(or owl:ObjectProperties), then [1] and [2] propose some way to do it, that
is totally compatible with the above description. The suggestion would be
to translate ISO 19101 properties into both:
  1. a sub-class of sosa:ObservableProperty, and
  2. a (functional) sub-property of ssn:hasProperty

ex:occupancy a owl:ObjectProperty , owl:FunctionalProperty ;
  rdfs:subPropertyOf ssn:hasProperty ;
  rdfs:range ex:OccupancyProperty .

ex:OccupancyProperty a rdfs:Class ;
  rdfs:subClassOf sosa:ObservableProperty .

 ex:Building rdfs:subClassOf [
  owl:onProperty ex:occupancy   ;
  owl:someValuesFrom ex:OccupancyProperty ] .

ex:Room rdfs:subClassOf [
  owl:onProperty ex:occupancy ;
  owl:someValuesFrom ex:OccupancyProperty ] .

<buildingX> rdf:type ex:Building   ;
  ex:occupancy <buildingXoccupancy> .

<buildingXoccupancy> rdf:type ex:Occupancy .

<roomX> rdf:type ex:Room ;
  ex:occupancy <roomXoccupancy> .

<roomXoccupancy>  rdf:type ex:Occupancy .

Any comments?

Best,
Maxime

[1] - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017Feb/0478.html