Re: BP document FROZEN - vote next Monday [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Bruce -

I've updated the BP doc to incorporate some of your comments. See PR #796
[1]

Before I go into details, let me say:
1/ I have an outstanding action to update section 11 - your commentary is
useful and I will try to incorporate that
2/ you ask what's driving the deadline? the SDW WG Charter expires at the
end of June, and when you factor a 45-day vote in for OGC, we're already a
little over. We plan to freeze the document on Monday 8-May, with a WG vote
to release on Wednesday 10-May, then there will be a OGC TC presentation
(via webinar) on Friday 12-May. Then begins the 45-day vote which will be
running while the St. Johns TC happens.

So - looking back at the feedback you gave (on 13 Apr)

A/ Section 5 Spatial Things: I have added The Sahara as an example of a
spatial thing with fuzzy boundaries
B/ Section 6 Coverages: You're right that conceptually, a coverage has
extent. While some may see it just as a data structure, I think it is more
convenient to think of a coverage as a type of spatial thing with some
particular characteristics. I've updated the text to reflect this more
flexible approach
C/ You suggest that "a discussion on how ‘spatial things’ are
conceptualised as ‘objects’/features/coverages etc could be useful" - but
this is potentially a huge & complex topic in and of itself. We have
attempted to give a light touch to 'conceptualising' spatial things in
Section 5; and Section 6 describes how spatial things (features) and
coverages may be related. Early on, the WG agreed that we would not try to
provide advice on [semantic] data modelling. DWBP [2] (which we refer to)
talks about data modelling (or at least picking the right vocabulary) to
some degree I think. Without adding a whole new section, I'm struggling to
see what changes I might make to the SDW BP doc.
D/ Section 7 Spatial Relations: I think that the current text is correct
here - certainly, it is drawn from trustworthy sources. You also suggest
adding a discussion about spatial joins. Again, I smell trouble here. If B
is within A, then figuring out which properties from A also apply to B is a
complex problem for which you need to have a good understanding of the
semantics; it's similar to determining is to resources are actually the
same (correlation etc.) - "Here be dragons" we said. I said earlier that
the WG has shied away from semantics, because our focus is on the spatial
aspects. And yes, you could argue the a spatial join is a spatial aspect,
but it does rely on the understanding of the semantic model which is domain
dependent. Finally, I'll add that we have unashamedly focused on _data
publication_; spatial joins are a usage concern. Given the limited
resources we have available in the group, we sadly can't cover all the
problems.
E/ Section 8 CRS: I covered this in a separate email and PR
F/ Section 10 SDI: Apologies if it reads that we have an overly pessimistic
view of SDIs. I tried to assert that SDIs are a necessary part of managing
spatial information. The challenge is that they are not easy to use by
non-experts. I totally agree that SDIs are more than the discovery
catalogue! On the subject of discovery metadata, we have a whole best
practice (BP13 [3] - sorry, we changed the numbers) devoted to dataset
metadata; and BP2 [4] talks about the role that that dataset metadata has
in making the spatial data discoverable by getting stuff indexed by search
engines. So I think that we're really not throwing out babies and bath
water together :-)

That's all for now.

If you're content with these changes, that's good. If there's still stuff
you're struggling with, then you have two options:
1/ provide some text for us to incorporate ... remember we want to freeze
the document by Monday 8-May
2/ wait for the OGC vote (starting 12-May) and provide feedback about your
concerns there ... the earlier the better, then we stand a better chance of
being able to respond.

Oh- one more thing. The SDW Best Practice doc is a W3C Note, which means it
can be updated. There is a plan to create a Spatial Data on the Web
'community group' that will carry the work on.

Best Regards, Jeremy

[1]: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/796
[2]: https://www.w3.org/TR/dwbp/
[3]: http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#spatial-info-dataset-metadata