Re: Linking Systems and Features of Interest

Hi,

In a matter of completeness, let me first paste the most important part of
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Link_between_FeatureOfInterest_and_xxxProperty#What_is_an_instances_of_ssn:Property_.3F

with some additional formatting.

*In oldSSN:* An observable Quality of an Event or Object. That is, not a
quality of an abstract entity as is also allowed by DUL's Quality, but
rather **an aspect of an entity that is intrinsic to and cannot exist
without the entity** and is observable by a sensor.

*In sections in https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/XGR-ssn-20110628
<https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/XGR-ssn-20110628>:*

*5.3.1.2.4 Observed Properties:* Properties are qualities that can be
observed via stimuli by a certain type of sensors. They inhere in features
of interest and **do not exist independently**. While this does not imply
that they do not exist without observations, our domain is restricted to
those observations for which sensors can be implemented based on certain
procedures and stimuli. To minimise the amount of ontological commitments
related to the existence of entities in the physical world, observed
properties are the only connection between stimuli, sensors, and
observations on the one hand, and features of interests on the other hand.

*5.3.1.3.4 Observed Properties:* ObservedProperty is defined as a subclass
of DUL:Quality. **Types of properties, such as temperature or pressure
should be added as subclasses of ObservedProperty instead of individuals**.
A new relation called SSO:isPropertyOf is defined as a subrelation of
DUL:isQualityOf to relate a property to a feature of interest.
*5.4.3.6 Wind Feature and properties:* This example also includes a
definition for Wind as a Feature of Interest with two properties: wind
direction and wind speed.

My conclusions, as Raul acknowledges, is that:
 1. type of property :Occupancy should be a class instead of an individual
 (probably also a sub-class of sosa:ObservableProperty)
 2. :roomXOccupancy and :buildingXOccupancy should be instances of
:Occupancy (and :sosa:ObsevableProperty), that do not exist independently
of :roomX and :buildingX, respectively
 3.  in OWL, an occupancy sensor could be defined as a sensor that observes
occupancy as follows:

:OccupancySensor owl:equivalentClass [ a owl:Restriction ; owl:onProperty
sosa:observes ; owl:allValuesFrom :Occupancy ] .

 4. to retrieve all the occupancy observations, one may just execute the
following SPARQL query:

SELECT ?observation WHERE {
  ?observation sosa:observedProperty ?property .
  ?property a :Occupancy .
}

or only those of :buildingX

SELECT ?observation WHERE {
  ?observation sosa:observedProperty ?property .
  ?property a :Occupancy .
  ?property ssn:isPropertyOf :buildingX .
}

or only those of :buildingX or its samples

SELECT ?observation WHERE {
  ?observation sosa:observedProperty ?property .
  ?property a :Occupancy .

{ ?property ssn:isPropertyOf :buildingX . }
 UNION  { ?property ssn:isPropertyOf ?sample . ?sample sosa:isSampleOf
:buildingX . }

}

This is no game changer because it was there since the beginning, but it
may help us consider moving ssn:hasProperty and ssn:isPropertyOf into SSN ?

Best,
Maxime