From: Linda van den Brink [l.vandenbrink@geonovum.nl]
Sent: 10 March 2017 14:11
To: Bruce Bannerman; Jeremy Tandy; Clemens Portele
Cc: PEREGO Andrea (JRC-ISPRA); SDW WG Public List
Subject: RE: BP8 (web friendly geometries) - compactness, compression, simplification [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi all,

Well, I do think that it is useful to supply simplified geometries in some way, in a lot of common cases. And as Clemens said it can be considered best practice & OGC WFS will support it, which is good news (I didn’t know this yet)!

I like the part where you can negotiate a service for a simplified geometry.

In my opinion we should add something on this topic to BP8, BUT also add a note containing a warning about the possible unexpected consequences Bruce is talking about. We don’t want people to get into legal conflicts or self-driving cars running into buildings because of a simplified geometry…

I wrote a snippet a while ago on the wiki which we could maybe reuse. It’s in the second part of the BP Narrative 2[1] page.

[1]: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative_2#.283.29_Publish_flooding_forecast_data_as_vector_dataset_and_identify_the_administrative_areas_.28.3F.29_that_the_flooding_is_predicted_to_impact
My suggestion to Andrea is to insert a Note as a place holder into this iteration of the BP and to add the substantial content during the next sprint.

Linda