RE: ACTION-257: Ask sefki kolozali to make proposal around trss for the owl time ontology (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)

Dear Sefki,

I made the mistake of not attending a couple of W3C/OGC SDW WG telcos, and this action seems to have been dropped on me.

I am not even sure what your concern was.

I assume TRSS is a satellite mission (tropical rainfall? Historical?). Were you thinking of exposing the products using ontologies and the OWL-Time ontology in particular?

My and Simon's concern with updating the old OWL-Time ontology was the tight coupling to the Gregorian Calendar (and its leap seconds!) and confusion over calendars and coordinate reference systems in general. In my world view, they are different beasts, and attempts to create dateTime entities are prone to errors in precision determined by calendar algorithms.

The problem is compounded by, for example, IETF RFC3999 being extremely carefully worded to establish a fully ordered sequence of time stamps, but not actually stating anything about durations - which most people assume can be done! And of course time stamps between different computer clocks are not very comparable at some levels of accuracy.

Chris

Chris Little
Co-Chair, OGC Meteorology & Oceanography Domain Working Group

IT Fellow - Operational Infrastructures
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1392 886278  Fax: +44(0)1392 885681  Mobile: +44(0)7753 880514
E-mail: chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

I am normally at work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week

ACTION-257: Ask sefki kolozali to make proposal around trss for the owl time ontology (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)

http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/257

On: Chris Little
Due: 2017-02-01

If you do not want to be notified on new action items for this group, please update your settings at:
http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users/59886#settings