Re: ssn: value add of dul

Hi Kerry,

I would feel really, really uncomfortable to invite Aldo to question him
about the user base and stability of DUL. We took the decision to
uncouple (new) SSN from DUL a long, long time ago and now we are
discussing whether the 'alignment' should be normative or non-normative
and what exactly we mean by 'alignment'. This matters because it may
impact our alignment with O&M. If we mean an alignment in terms of OWL
subclassing and so forth, then there is not such thing as an 'informal'
or 'optional' alignment as all axioms in OWL are born equal. Also,
please note that O&M is an international standard developed by the OGC
on the topic at hand, namely observations and so on, while DUL is a
foundational ontology. Btw, this is not a statement about the quality of
DUL and Aldo's work (for which I have the highest respect). Finally, if
we have a normative DUL alignment and it is in a new namespace and so is
SSN, do we have to provide implementation details for each part of the
alignment? I recall that this is an argument that you tend to use in
other cases.

Best,
Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu