Re: To use or not to use recommended metadata in a W3C ontology ?

On 02/07/2017 12:35 PM, Ghislain Atemezing wrote:
> Re visibility and reusing ontologies….
>> Le 7 févr. 2017 à 21:01, Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@ucsb.edu
>> <mailto:janowicz@ucsb.edu>> a écrit :
>>
>> At least not in my experience working with them. If they see that
>> 'xyz' is used in an ontology they are going to use, then they would
>> like to find out what xyz is and if they find out that it is an
>> ontology that has been created years ago by a private person and that
>> there is no support for it and no other major player is using said
>> ontology, they will be unhappy.
>
> I am afraid, they will certainly only use schema.org
> <http://schema.org> in the next years :)

Well, that is the big, big question and one of the motivations for SOSA.
We would like to have an ontology with as low entrance hurdles as
possible that follows the Pareto principle, i.e., it covers ~80% of
"naive" use cases while only requiring ~20% knowledge/sophistication/...
and on the other hand also support more in-depth applications by using
SSN. Currently, schema.org does not support observations and sensors but
I hope SOSA will be a big step in that direction. This is also why we
need to make things as simple and intuitive as possible from an end user
perspective. We can leave all the fancy parts to SSN. There is, of
course, also the bigger question whether it is in our all interest to
use schema.org or not, but this is another (interesting) discussion.

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu