Re: To use or not to use recommended metadata in a W3C ontology ?

On 02/07/2017 10:49 AM, Ghislain Atemezing wrote:
> Hello,
>> Le 7 févr. 2017 à 19:41, Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr
>> <mailto:maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>> a écrit :
>>
>> The proposed integration methodology (seereadme.md
>> <http://readme.md/>) includes the following item:
>>
>> - be conformant with the linked vocabulary best practices
>> athttp://lov.okfn.org/Recommendations_Vocabulary_Design.pdf
>>
>> These best practices encourage among other to use vocabularies vann
>> and voaf.
>
> IMHO that document is not a “Bible" :)

Yes, not only is this not a 'bible', it is also that the industry and
large government agencies operate completely differently than
researchers and individual research projects. Many government and
industry partners simple cannot use the small ontologies/vocabularies
developed by students, postdocs, EU projects, and so forth, because they
have to commit to offering many, many years of support for their
customers and in many cases they are even forced by law to only use
standardized work. Please, let us not make SOSA/SSN difficult to use by
introducing many new properties (and the ontologies where they come
from) for the sake of being perceived as innovative or what not.  This
is not a research or university project but a long-term effort to
generate a vocabulary for many years to come.

Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu