Re: Content negotiation of spatial linked data

Hi,

On 09/22/16 22:32, Maxime Lefrançois wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> my two cents:
>

>> Particular serializations of both the feature and geometry data can
>> be
> negotiated either way, I
>> think. If one request a feature with contentType
>> application/rdf+xml; geomdata=“WKTLiteral”, then the geometry if
>> requested / returned
> should include an
>> asWKT.
>
> While I agree that this would be very handy indeed, I don't think
> http allows that kind of syntax in the Accept-header, at least not
> for all media types and certainly not for application/rdf+xml
>

> using
>
> Accept: application/rdf+xml;geomdata="WKTLiteral"
>
> Would be perfectly ok as per RFC 2045 and updated by RFC 2184. But
> parameter geomdata is neither defined as a required, nor as an
> optional parameter in media type application/rdf+xml.
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/rdf+xml
>
> What could be possible on the other hand, would be to define a new
> media type such as application/geomdata+rdf+xml for instance (not
> sure if the use of two '+' would be allowed, I can ask. and to
> register it following https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/0430-mime

a straightforward alternative is to give the geometry a URI and do
plain content negotiation.  Problem solved.

I do not understand why people would bend over backwards to put
possibly very large GML/WKT/KML data (or other "binary" content) in
RDF literals.

Cheers,
Andreas.

PS. FWIW, it would be useful to have a IANA-registered content type
for WKT and GML [1].  KML and GeoJSON have one.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml