Re: Clarification required: BP6 "use HTTP URIs for spatial things"

> We have to be very careful with recommending owl:sameAs for
> identifying equivalence of resources (individuals). This page
> <http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Overloading_OWL_sameAs>
> (Overloading OWL sameAs) summarizes discussion about owl:sameAs in the
> semweb community years ago and it specifically says that linking a
> thing with data about that thing with owl:sameAs is abuse of owl:sameAs.
>
> The paper When owl:sameAs isn't the Same: An Analysis of Identity in
> Linked Data <https://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/papers/ws21> goes
> further and says that when two resources are linked by owl:sameAs they
> are expected to have the same properties, and "[..] any statement that
> is given to a single URI is true for every other URI that has an
> owl:sameAs link".
>
> The reason that a satisfactory solution to asserting resource
> equivalence did not seem available on the web was the reason the use
> case Modelling In The Construction Sector
> <http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#ModellingInTheConstructionSector> was
> contributed, with its deriverd Subject equality requirement
> <http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#SubjectEquality>.

Yes, see my previous email about this issue. owl:SameAs relates two URIs
to each other and should be used if both URIs signify the same entity
(have the same 'identity'). 'A:EddystoneLighthouse a
VerticalObstruction.' and 'B:EddystoneLighthouse a NavigationAid.'  do
not cause any issues. These are just two statements and RDF-based Linked
Data is simply about sets of statements. As long as
A:EddystoneLighthouse and B:EddystoneLighthouse signify the same  entity
on the surface of the Earth, we can (and should) use owl:SameAs. What we
should not do is to use owl:SameAs between A:EddystoneLighthouse and
C:EddystoneLighthouse if C:EddystoneLighthouse is the URI of a picture
of the lighthouse, e.g.,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Phare-d-Eddystone-Rocks.jpg
.

Best,