Re: Clarification required: BP6 "use HTTP URIs for spatial things"

Hi,

> So as representations, these are not “owl:sameAs”.

Just for clarification. owl:sameAs is only concerned with the mapping of
IRIs to (real world) entities and not 'representations' (leaving aside
the fact that everything is a representation in some sense). I.e., it is
about 'identity'. To give an extreme example, a URI may refer to the
Eddystone Lighthouse which may be classified as /Lighthouse/ in some
repository. Another URI established 50 years from now can still refer to
this particular (4th) lighthouse and classify it as a /Ruin/. Another 50
years into the future, there may be yet another URI that refers to the
fact that at some stage there was a ruin here of the 4th lighthouse
called Eddystone while there is nothing physical left of it, and, thus,
it is neither classified as /Ruin/ nor /Lighthouse/. In fact, we do not
even need to introduce the concept of "real world" here as we can also
establish a sameAs relation between two URIs that point to Zeus. Please
note that this is different from establish a sameAs link between a
particular statue of Zeus in a particular museum and Zeus as the god of
thunder. Finally, the purpose of establishing sameAs links is typically
data fusion/conflation (no matter whether this is done ad-hoc, manually,
or (offline) computationally) .

Best,
Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu