From: s.kolozali@surrey.ac.uk [mailto:s.kolozali@surrey.ac.uk]
Sent: Monday, 9 May 2016 11:06 PM
To: rgarcia@fi.upm.es; Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>
Cc: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: SSN conceptual modules

Hi,
I have tried to include my comments about the SSN ontology on the wiki page, however, it seems like I don’t have permission to do that. Please find below the content that I wanted to include in the web page.

== SSN Observations and Feature of Interest==
The SSN Ontology provides a vocabulary for describing concepts such as sensors, outputs, observation value and feature of interests. However, sensor observations can be in different format and shape. Therefore, there is room for improvement in the representation of sensor observations taking into account the multimodal sensory data, such as audio, video as well. I have developed an ontology called SAO Ontology (http://iot.ee.surrey.ac.uk/citypulse/ontologies/sao/sao), which enables people to annotate the observations as data streams (as a matrix), points, and segments based on TimeLine Ontology, PROV-O ontology, and SSN Ontology. This kind of conceptualisation can help the SSN Ontology to represent temporal features as well as different size and shape of data streams. I also think that feature of interest concept needs clarification as it often triggers a lot of discussions among the researchers.

Cheers,

Sefki Kolozali
Research Fellow
Institute for Communication Systems (ICS), home of the 5G Innovation Centre
University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1483 689490

E-mail: s.kolozali@s<mailto:s.kolozali@qmul.ac.uk>urrey.ac.uk<http://urrey.ac.uk>
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ics/<http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ccsr/>