Re: Units of Measure (BP, Coverages, SSN,Time?)

It depends how and to which degree you integrate LD into something or
expect it to be used, especially in simple web APIs. Have a look:

// http://example.com/temperature/UK/RG17SB Accept:application/json
{
   "@context": "http://example.com/myapi.context",
   "measurement": 27.5,
   "unit": {
     "label": { "en": "Degree Celsius" },
     "symbol": {
       "type": "UCUM",
       "value": "Cel"
     }
   }
}

where http://example.com/myapi.context would be:

{
   "type": "@type",
   "value": "@value",
   "rdf": "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#",
   "qudt": "http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#",
   "skos": "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#",
   "measurement":
"http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/DUL.owl#hasDataValue",
   "unit": "qudt:unit",
   "label": {"@id": "skos:prefLabel", "@container": "@language"},
   "symbol": "qudt:symbol",
   "UCUM": "http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/"
}

(I used "Cel" again, since this is how you serialize °C in UCUM.)

You promise to your clients that this is a fixed structure, and that
they don't need a JSON-LD parser if they don't want to. The use case
could be to simply display the above measurement information on a
webpage. And with just that, it becomes easy to test that the unit of
the value uses the UCUM scheme, and then the client may decide to use
the https://github.com/jmandel/ucum.js library to convert the
temperature to any other available option for the user's convenience,
like Fahrenheit, Kelvin, ... No LD involved here. I can't imagine doing
the same on RDF level in that same simplicity.

All I'm saying is, don't forget the other side. RDF/LD is important, but
for some use cases it's just irrelevant, and I don't think those cases
should be ignored. I think those two worlds must be merged.

Cheers
Maik